9.13.2009

garden goodness


ahh, garden vegetables. jason always laughs at me when i proudly plunk a dish of fresh vegetables down on the dinner table and tell him that they are 'garden vegetables'. "where do you think other vegetables come from?" he asks. "the store," i say.


carter likes garden vegetables too. green tomatoes, even... these pictures are from a few weeks ago when the peas were ripe for the harvest :)



who needs to pick 'em? just eat up straight from the vine.



i guess pea pods are good to suck on, too. who knew?


secret passage behind the zinnias :)


the last weeks of summer have been crab apple time as well at our house. the tree was so full, some branches almost kissed the ground. but that was before we unleashed the crab apple monster :)





hey look! these two are attached... bonus :)



yum. our freezer is now the happy home for some tasty apple pie filling, quite a lot of rather tart applesauce, and a ton of chopped future apple crisp delight. now we're just waiting on the garden tomatoes...

9 comments:

Kim said...

Great pictures Karina! Your garden veggies make me excited to grow some of my own next year - hopefully :)

Andrea said...

What a handsome guy. I think I would like the secret path behind the zinnias, too. Did you know, my zinnias are being eaten by some sort of critter or bug and the first flower only opened YESTERDAY? And. It looks pretty ugly. I will have to take a picture for you. Not at all like your lovely ones. Good job.

Jen Glen said...

I loved the pictures! You make me want to grow a garden...but I know nothing about it...and it scares the socks off of me. Now, if you were only near to teach me.... :)

karina said...

andrea, maybe you should spray them with some soapy water. although it is probably kind of late to care about it now, maybe. i have one plant in the front bed that was almost completely consumed by worms but i killed them with soapy water, which was very satisfying :)

Andrea said...

That's what I thought I should do. I just wasn't very attentive to things, after I planted them. It was an experimental year, anyway. The soil here is weird compared to what we're used to so I'm still trying to figure out what should grow where, you know? Most of the zinnia seeds I planted didn't even come up at all. I might need more compost :)

~Kim~ said...

Karina you take beautiful photos! Looks like you two had tons of fun in your garden this year. I LOVE garden vegetables, they taste so much better than store bought ones. Also, Ezra has the same sweater as Carter, I love it!

Jeff and Jocelyn said...

Mmmm gardens are SOO rewarding, mine was quite small this year, but we have very much enjoyed the meager portions of fresh peas, carrots and HUGE amounts of tomatoes!
Plus kids making gardening even more fun.... Carter is adoarable!

Dana said...

You take such great photos! I love the one of Carter's hands in the apples.
I'm impressed with your garden!
Inspires me to maybe try some peas or something next year.

Sorry I missed your call the other day - we need to get together soon.

Lexi said...

Can you send me some crab apples!? I miss those!