12.24.2010

The Light of Christ

Happy Christmas Eve! Christmas Eve was always my favorite time as a child - going to our church's Christmas Program (and why is mom always late getting in the car EVERY SINGLE YEAR before the Christmas program? come on, mom, hurry up!), and then returning home to the presents that magically appeared under the tree while we were gone!

Things are a little different now that I'm an adult - now I get to be the one putting the presents under the tree. Here are some pictures from Christmas Eves past: Jason and me, my lovely siblings, and my parents :)





And while we are not opening presents tonight in our house, and my parents and siblings are not here, it's still a special day and evening. Carter was very excited to hang the last little felt ornament on our little Advent tree today. Tonight we will have a candlelight service at church. And tomorrow after a good night's sleep (hopefully) we will open some presents together, enjoy some time with Jason's parents, and eat some good food which I will make.

But I am a little tired today. Getting ready for Christmas is tiring work. Should it be this way? We put so much hustle and bustle into the month of December (and November, really) that there's not much room for quiet preparation. Today's reading speaks to this really well:

"It is not merely the birth of Jesus we celebrate tonight, although we recall it joyfully, in song and story. The feast of the Incarnation invites us to celebrate also Jesus' death, resurrection, and coming again in glory. It is our salvation story, and all of creation is invited to dance, sing, and feast. But we are so exhausted. How is it possible to bridge the gap between our sorry reality and the glad, grateful recognition of the Incarnation as the mainstay of our faith? We might begin by acknowledging that if we have neglected the spiritual call of Advent for yet another year, and have allowed ourselves to become thoroughly frazzled by December 24, all is not lost. We are, in fact, in very good shape for Christmas.

It is precisely because we are weary, and poor in spirit, that God can touch us with hope... Tonight we are asked to acknowledge that the world we have made is in darkness. We are asked to be attentive, and keep vigil for the light of Christ."
(God With Us, p. 122)



O Emmanuel, ruler and lawgiver,
desire of the nations,
savior of all people:
Come and set us free, Lord our God.


2 comments:

Jen Glen said...

I was feeling very behind and very much like I had yet to truly worship this Christmas season...until I finally finished all the preparations last night. As soon as I sat down, I felt the weight leave me and I am eagerly anticipating our candlelight Christmas Eve services as well, where I am praying true worship will occur!! Love ya! Have a wonderful Christmas!

Andrea said...

I know what you mean. Here it's already 6:30 pm on Christmas Eve, and I'm just now sitting down. We have friends coming over tonight, which is special, so I had to prepare some food, but did we have to make SOOOOOOO much of it? I wonder. Anyways. I hope you and Jason and the boys will have a magical, peaceful first Christmas as a family of four!
Love you!