"Faith always implies risk. We need to remember that we are the creatures of a God who was himself, from our human viewpoint, invested in risky enterprises. Think of the risk of giving human beings free will - the choice for or against God!...

...Both risk and faith are expansive and far from passive. They don't say "Maybe," or "Some other time, perhaps." In spite of obstacles they rarely hold back...Wholeheartedness. That's the quality that should characterize us and that will warm the heart of God."
(God With Us, p. 90)
""Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the Lord, who has compassion on you." Isaiah 54:10


...Both risk and faith are expansive and far from passive. They don't say "Maybe," or "Some other time, perhaps." In spite of obstacles they rarely hold back...Wholeheartedness. That's the quality that should characterize us and that will warm the heart of God."
(God With Us, p. 90)
This is a very difficult point for me. I do believe in God - that is, I believe He exists and I also believe that Jesus was born and died so that I/we can be saved. It is harder, though, to actually believe God in such a way that my life is changed because of it. I'm not a big risk-taker in any aspect of life. So this is my challenge, right? Right. Because I do want to be a girl who warms God's heart. Especially when I read a verse that has such a mighty promise as this:
""Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the Lord, who has compassion on you." Isaiah 54:10

2 comments:
Doesn't saying that God took a risk giving us free will imply that He didn't know what we were going to do? For that matter, isn't taking a risk always not knowing what the outcome will be but doing it anyway? God knew. He knew very well what would happen. And He planned the answer - Jesus.
hmmm, i didn't think of it that way, jen. but i guess that's why the writer says God took a risk from our human viewpoint? because you are right, surely he knew what would happen.
Post a Comment