12.15.2010

There is No Other


"When God speaks the entire world must answer. Some shout, "No! I won't!" Some complain, "I can't. It's too hard." Some claim personal autonomy - their "rights." Obeying goes against the grain for many of us - we rebel at restrictions. Yet some of us, if we are listening, recognize the voice of loving authority and answer, "Yes.""
(God With Us, p. 87)

Today's Scripture reading came out of Isaiah 45, and as I was reading it a common thread emerged (well, it was pretty obvious actually). Ten times in twenty-five verses God states: "I am the Lord, and there is no other" or something similar like "apart from me there is no God", and "there is none besides me", and "there is no other god", and "there is none but me". Ok. I hear you, Lord :) The context of all these statements? God created everything, and even if you don't acknowledge him he is still the only God.
And he wants to save you.
That's why Jesus came.


"Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth;
for I am God, and there is no other." Isaiah 45:22


No comments: