I have just finished reading Voices of the Faithful Book 2, compiled by Kim P. Davis. This book was part of the BookSneeze program which I've just recently joined and so this is my first review.
Voices of the Faithful Book 2, compiled by Kim P. Davis, is a 365 day devotional book of missionary stories from around the world. Each day's reading consists of a scripture verse, a true story from the experiences of a modern-day missionary, and a prayer. The overall focus of the devotional is simply how Jesus is shared with people around the world, covering topics such as" lessons from the young", "hope for the world", and" from adversity to triumph".
When I first started reading the book, I thought the stories were interesting but nothing really grabbed me. As I read more and more, however, I realized the reason for my initial reaction; I had been expecting something more sensational, more miraculous. In fact, a lot of the missionaries' stories were kind of normal...aren't missionaries always experiencing God in crazy and amazing ways that we regular people don't? :) What I began to realize was that it is the very ordinariness of the missionaries and most of their stories that makes the work of Jesus in and through their lives so powerful. The missionaries who shared their experiences in this book are ordinary people who really love God and are doing their best to share the love of Jesus with those around them and to live by faith in their daily lives - which is inspiring! Of course, there were also some of those awesome and miraculous stories that I'd been hoping for, and they were inspiring too.
One aspect of the book that I really enjoyed was the way that the prayers connected me with the missionaries. Devotional books often include a short prayer at the end of each reading and I frankly hardly ever even read them - they seem too impersonal or formulated to me, so I don't bother. But the prayers in this book were different because they actually led me to pray specifically for the people I had just read about, whether it was the missionaries or someone who had just accepted Christ or someone who had not yet accepted Christ. There was even one story which followed up on a reading from Voices of the Faithful Book 1, which was great because it showed how the prayers offered up on behalf of that missionary were really being answered.
I would definitely recommend this book to someone who is looking for a short daily reading to inspire and encourage you. You will be inspired to start living in a more transparent way and to share your faith readily with anyone, anywhere, anytime.
I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.
No comments:
Post a Comment