I actually really like the subtitle of this book: "Confessions of a Sometimes Spiritually Clumsy Woman". I can identify with that. Stumbling into Grace, by Lisa Harper, is a book for any woman who has ever felt spiritually clumsy, shallow, or lost (which, let's be honest, is probably every one of us). It is easy to read but still gets the truth across, addressing relevant topics such as fear, busyness, forgiveness, and gratitude.I enjoyed the way the book was set up. Each chapter includes an introductory section on the topic and then moves on to a short bible study based on an event in the life of Jesus. The chapter is finished with a section of questions for personal reflection or group study - very practical although time consuming if you actually want to get into it properly (which I admit I did not often do). I also enjoyed the author's sense of humor - most chapters were funny and some hilarious :)
I especially liked the chapter called 'Busyness isn't a Spiritual Gift'. Listen to this: "Our heavenly Father is not some insensitive CEO pushing His minions for more bankable hours. He cares far more about the posture of our hearts than our productivity. Even "good" things can become the enemy of God's best for us" (pages 113-114). I appreciated that Lisa Harper doesn't advocate not being busy at times, but rather that we need to find a balance between busyness and rest. "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly" (Matthew 11:28-30, MSG - page 119). I think that almost encompasses the whole point of her book - to live freely and lightly under the cover of God's grace.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through theBookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.
No comments:
Post a Comment