Christmas is coming!
I am getting in a bakingish frame of mind, so here is one of my favorites:
Neapolitan Cookies
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
Cream butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix well.
Split dough into thirds. Then add one of these to each third:
1. 5 drops red food coloring
2. 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (this third could be left plain if you prefer not to use nuts)
3. 1 melted square unsweetened chocolate
Line a 9x5 loaf pan with wax paper (I tape it on sometimes with scotch tape).
Spread layers of dough evenly into the pan, pink first, then white, then brown.
Refrigerate 4 hours, covered.
Remove the dough from the pan and peel off the paper.
Cut lengthwise in half. Slice each half crosswise into slices about 1/8 inch thick.
Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheet (ungreased). Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

I like to dip these in chocolate once they're cool. The chocolate I make for dipping is:
2 cups chocolate chips
1 can condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla
Melt chocolate chips in double boiler and then add milk and vanilla, mixing well.
Or, slowly warm everything together in the microwave, stirring periodically, until the chocolate chips are melted. Dip each cookie halfway into the chocolate and lay on wax paper to dry. Yum :)
4 comments:
Kids + LCD lights = a good thing! :)
P.S. I thought it was so funny that you brought up my broken rib on my sick post! I definitely had that in mind when I was hacking and told Craig I hoped I didn't break another one! Ah, the memories!
My mom always made these cookies.
oh, those cookies bring back memories of your parents house... I love that you are carrying on the tradition:)
does Jenny mean LED lights?? :)
those cookies look amazing - i must try those! :)
we tried to find you to say goodbye the other day but you were NO where to be found! :( but i as very happy to get a hug!
Post a Comment