12.02.2010

Advent

Christmas programs: Yes, I am the short one in the middle who is not doing the actions...look at my angelic sister in the red dress. Well, she's sort of doing the right actions, although it doesn't really match up with what everyone else is doing. Is she just really tired? :) Side note: Carter gets to be in our church's Sunday School Christmas Program for the first time this year!!!! I'm so excited! He gets to ring some bells :)


I love Christmas. I love Advent - the calendars, the readings, the music, the excitement, the candles. I love the eager anticipation of this time of year - well, actually I love looking forward to anything at any time of year :) But especially in December. This is mostly my mom's fault, probably, because we had some really great advent calendar traditions in our house growing up. Yes, that's me :)


So this year I am trying to follow through with an Advent reading schedule, but of course I forgot that it was Advent already on Sunday so I just started yesterday. Now I have to read two a day for a bit to catch up :) My thought right now is that I want to not only do these readings but I want to remember a little something from them, something that stood out to me or that opened my eyes to a new thought. So I'm going to do my best do blog something every day of Advent this year (gasp! every day!) starting today, whether it's a quote from my reading or a bible verse that I read or just a thought that I had. So for today:

"Think about it. We can stretch our minds as high and deep and far as our minds can stretch, and at the point of the highest, deepest, farthest stretch of our minds, we have not "thought" God....God is, quite literally, inconceivable. And that is why God was conceived as a human being in the womb of the virgin Mary. Because we cannot, even in thought, rise up to God, God stooped down to us in Jesus, who is "Emmanuel," which means "God with us."" (p. 17, God With Us)

It is mind boggling when I stop and try to capture the bigness or the greatness or the infiniteness of God. I just can't. And so I really liked this thought, that God the inconceivable was conceived to be with us. So that we can, for a moment in time, catch a glimpse of God.



No comments: